Friday, December 8, 2006

No Brewing This Week :(

I will not be able to brew this week. It got really warm today, and
conditions are not right for cooling my wort. LOL.

I have decided that the batch I will brew on Monday will have a
super-late wort hopping, so all of my hops will go in at the 10 minute
mark. We will see how this works. Nobody says that there are problems
with this method. I use BTP, so it can calculate my hop dosage to attain
the required IBUs.

A lesson that I learned from yesterday's bottling session is that small
batches are really small batches. I had originally brewed (or so I
thought) for 12 L of beer. At the end of the bottling session, I only
got 8 liters out of it (16 bottles). The yeast cake at the bottom was
thick, and the dry hops did not help either (especially since I did not
put them in a bag).

So next week I will push the limits of the system, and try to get 18L or
so brewed, so I have a reasonable quantity of beer to drink. I guess I
need to use a 7 gallon boil kettle, instead of using my 2.5 gallon with
a texas two-step.

No comments: