Tuesday, December 5, 2006

First All Grain Brew, As Well

Yes, I use to brew extract beers... but, I have found that all-grain brewing is cheaper, and definitely a bit more fun. Time-wise, it takes a little longer to brew all-grain than it does extract, but it is not difficult at all.

There are three primary types of all-grain brewing.
1. Fly Sparge
2. Batch Sparge
3. No Sparge

I have chosen to do batch sparging primarily because it is very easy, the sugar extraction efficiency is very good, and I do not have to worry about oversparging and extracting nasty stuff from the grains. For superb information on batch sparging, check out this site.

I hit around 75% efficiency, which is way more than i thought i would end up with for some reason, so my first beer ended up with a OG of 1.064. I was shooting for a 1.054 (I think I assumed 62% efficiency in the beginning). Now instead on an APA, it is an IPA... LOL

No comments: