Thursday, May 17, 2007

In Colorado

... is where I am at the moment. I have a chance now to taste a local "Colorado" beer. I saw in the latest Zymurgy (I think), that there is a brewery called Breckenridge. I wanted to try one of their IPAs or APAs, but the local liquor shop only had a Vanilla Porter, and one other one that I forgot the name of.

So, I decided to go with 5 Barrel Pale Ale from O'Dell Brewing in Fort Collins, CO. First, the aroma seemed a little stale, so I checked the date, and it is 061507, which means it is almost expired. I suppose. There is no noticeably distinct hop aroma or flavor in it, so I suspect a huge blend. Ok, so on the bottle it says that they run it through a hop-back, and that 4 hops are added in the boil. I would expect much bigger aroma, but again, the beer might be old. It tasted fine, fairly similar to SNPA. I am not a BJCP judge or anything (yet), so I will not go through the ratings for aroma, flavor, appearance, etc...

No comments: